Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pickles and Kombucha

On the 5th of December I started a batch of both 4 pounds of pickles and a gallon batch of kombucha. My last batch of kombucha didn't turn out so great I didn't let it ferment long enough and it ended up tasting sweet and the ginger didn't boil long enough so it tasted just like a root. So this time I paid a little more attention to detail.
Recipe:
  • 6 Tbs Green Tea (two tea bags)
  • 3 Tbs Black Tea (one tea bag)
  • Grated ginger and zest from one orange
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/3 cup ginger simple syrup 




One of the "tricks" I guess I use is that I fill up the container that I am going to be fermenting in with filtered water and ice cubes. Then I pour off the water and save some of the ice water for a quick cool down. I wanted to make sure this batch had a good spicy ginger flavor so I let the ginger sit in the boiling water before I shut off the heat to steep the tea. The tea tasted great before I added the mothers in so I have high hopes for this batch.





I have made pickles before this but I just made canned pickles. This time I am making lacto-fermented pickles using some of the brine that the sauerkraut was sitting in. First I sanitized the glass jar I was using by washing it out with plain hot water and then swishing around some distilled vinegar. Then I just cut 4 lbs of cucumbers into spears and packed them into my glass jar. Then I added in the spices and a teaspoon of salt for every pound of vegetable (I've heard this is the correct way to do it). Then I boiled water and let it cool down and added the water to the spices and cucumbers. It's going to sit for almost two weeks and then I will devour them.
Recipe:
  • ~ 4 lbs of cucumbers (speared)
  • 2 Tbs Cayenne powder
  • 1 tsp Fennel seeds (crushed slightly)
  • 1 tsp Caraway seeds (crushed slightly)
  • 2 Tbs Peppercorns (crushed slightly)
  • 4 tsp Salt
  • 2 ounces of fresh Dill
  • 1 sprig of Rosemary
  • ~ cup of live culture sauerkraut brine

1 comment:

  1. Crazy... I didn't know there were so many natural ingredients that went into beer-making!

    Where do you get your ingredients from? Are they entirely your own thought-up creation? Or are you inspired by other breweries, recipes etc?

    ReplyDelete